People with diabetes have too much sugar in their blood. If they do not get treatment, they will have major health problems. Without proper care, people who have diabetes can get heart disease, kidney disease, blindness or severe foot problems.
If you have diabetes, we can help you get the care you need. Some people have mild to moderate diabetes. They take care of it by exercising, eating healthy foods, losing weight and taking oral medication. Other people require daily insulin injections. Insulin helps the body break down food for energy. Everyone with diabetes needs care from a doctor.
We will give you information to help you manage the diabetes. Your care manager will call you to see how they can help you. The care manager will teach you about diabetes and help you take good care of yourself. You will learn:
- How diabetes affects the body
- The importance of checking blood sugars regularly
- How and when to take diabetes medications
- How to take good care of your feet
- The importance of a good eye care
- How to learn healthy habits to feel better