Become a Member
Become an Aetna Better Health of Virginia Member
We know quality health care is a top priority for everyone. That’s why Aetna Better Health of Virginia offers managed care services and programs to individuals and families who qualify for Medicaid, FAMIS (Family Access to Medicaid Insurance Security), and CCC Plus (Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus). Our benefits cover wellness check-ups for kids and adults, immunizations, vision care, and more.
How to enroll
By phone. Call the Managed Care Helpline at 1-800-643-2273.
Online. Visit www.virginiamanagedcare.com
By phone. Call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282.
Online. Visit www.coverva.org
By phone. Call the CCC Plus Helpline at 1-844-374-9159 or TDD 1-800-817-6608.
Online. Visit www.cccplusva.com
Tell them you choose Aetna Better Health of Virginia.
Other important information about your enrollment
Am I eligible for coverage?
Medicaid eligibility is determined by your local Department of Social Services (DSS). Contact your local DSS eligibility worker about any Medicaid eligibility questions. For more information, you can visit Cover Virginia at www.coverva.org, or call 1-855-242-8282 or TDD: 1-888-221-1590. The call is free.
Medallion and FAMIS
If you don’t have Medicaid or FAMIS coverage but think you may be eligible, you will need to submit an application. To apply, follow these steps:
- Apply online
- To apply by phone, call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282
You can also submit an application for coverage at your local Department of Social Services (DSS) office. Find out where your nearest DSS office is.
You are eligible for CCC Plus when you have full Medicaid benefits, and meet one of the following categories:
- You are age 65 and older,
- You are an adult or child with a disability,
- You reside in a nursing facility (NF),
- You receive services through the CCC Plus home and community based services waiver [formerly referred to as the Technology Assisted and Elderly or Disabled with Consumer Direction (EDCD) Waivers],
- You receive services through any of the three waivers serving people with developmental disabilities (Building Independence, Family & Individual Supports, and Community Living Waivers), also known as the DD Waivers.
Choosing or changing your health plan
You have a choice in your health plan
Every area of the state has an open enrollment period. During this time, you can change from your current health plan to Aetna Better Health of Virginia. The Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) will notify you by mail when your next open enrollment takes place. You will receive a comparison chart of the different plans that you may choose. You can change your health plan during the first 90 days of your enrollment for any reason. You can also change your health plan once a year during open enrollment or at annual renewal for any reason.
If you are a current Aetna Better Health of Virginia member and you want to stay our member, you do not need to take any action.
To choose Aetna Better Health, call the Medicaid Managed Care Helpline at 1-800-643-2273. For more information or if you have questions, please visit www.virginiamanagedcare.com.
To choose Aetna Better Health, call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282. For more information, please visit www.coverva.org.
To choose Aetna Better Health, call the CCC Plus Helpline at 1-844-374-9159 or TDD 1-800-817-6608. If you are a current Aetna Better Health of Virginia member and you want to stay our member, you do not need to take any action. For more information, please visit www.cccplusva.com.
The Medicaid Managed Care Helpline, Cover Virginia, and CCC Plus Helpline can help you understand your health plan choices and answer your questions about which doctors and other providers participate with each health plan. The services are free and are not connected to any health plan.
Benefits and services for our members
Standard benefits include:
- Language translation services
- Checkups for children
- Visits to the doctor when you are sick
- Hospital services
- Emergency care
- Laboratory services
- Prescription drugs
- Family planning services
- Mental health services
- Routine eye exams and glasses for children
- Routine eye exams for adults
- Home health services
- Rides to medical appointments (Non-emergent transportation is not available to FAMIS members)
- Maternity and high risk pregnancy care
- Newborn care
- Immunizations (shots) for children
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapies
- After hours medical advice line
Health care for children:
- Immunizations (shots)
- Checkups to age 21
- Vision screenings
- Health education
- Services for special health care needs
- Lead screenings
- Hearing screenings
For FAMIS enrollees, co-pays may apply.
- Free cellphone with 350 free minutes per month, data, and free unlimited text messaging, including free calls to Member Services
- Ted E. Bear, MD club for children (newborn to age 10)
- Mobile app
- Digital wellness programs for stress, back pain, eating healthier, and creating an exercise routine for your lifestyle