Another group or vendor provides the info on the next page. If you don’t want to leave our site, choose the “X” in the upper right corner to close this message. Or choose “Go on” to move forward.
The Aetna Better Health® difference
You deserve to be as healthy as you can be. That’s why we offer unique benefits that take care of the whole you. We have experience you can count on — with a range of services to help you on your health journey. We’ve added some benefits that go beyond your standard health coverage.
You can check out these materials to learn more:
- Complete list of benefits — English (PDF) | Spanish (PDF).
- Value-added benefits (PDF).
- Petersburg-specific value-added benefits (for Petersburg members) (PDF).
Wellness supplies and services
- Healthy food card: Eligible members can get money added to a special debit card. The card can be used to buy healthy groceries.
- Support for new moms: Members can get a New Moms Box, plus $25/month of care products from CVS Pharmacy®.
- Baby diapers: Pregnant members can get a free box of diapers (300 count).
- Monthly stipend for period products: Members with periods can receive $20/month to spend on period products through CVS Pharmacy®.
- Non-traditional medicine: Some members can receive up to $200 in reimbursement toward non-traditional healing practices.
Extra help with rides
Need a ride to your nonemergency medical appointments? We’ll help you get one. You can also enjoy no-cost rides to local resources or services (up to 30 round trips or 60 one-way trips each year). This extra help goes beyond the standard rides benefit.
Disease and weight management
Do you have asthma or diabetes? Or need help with managing your weight? If so, we can help you get the supplies and services you need for healthier living. You can get carpet cleaning services, therapeutic shoes, access to a dietitian and more.
Care in the home
- Home meal delivery: Members may get home-delivered meals after hospital discharge for seven days (two meals per day).
- Memory care: Two door alarms and six window locks for members with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
Adult vision and hearing care
- Vision care: One eye exam and $250 toward glasses (frames and lenses) or contact lenses each year for adults (ages 21 and older).
- Hearing care: One hearing exam, $1,500 toward hearing aids, plus 60 batteries each year.
Even more benefits
- No-cost smartphone: You can get a smartphone with an Android™ platform and Assurance Wireless Lifeline cell service at no extra cost to you.
- Kids’ programs: Kids can get swimming lessons and sports physicals at no extra cost.
- General education development (GED): You can get help earning your GED. We’ll cover the cost of classes and provide you with a test voucher.
Benefits in your plan
Benefits in your plan
Learn about all your plan benefits, from vision and dental care to telehealth, maternity care and help stopping nicotine use. You can learn more about all these topics in your member handbook — English (PDF) | Spanish (PDF).
We take care of the whole you. That means you’re covered if you need to see a specialist, have an emergency or plan to start a family. You have unlimited visits, so you can see your primary care provider (PCP) as many times as you need to — at no cost.
You can also get a wide range of preventive care and vaccines. Start by finding a provider today. If you need urgent care or emergency care, you can find a facility or hospital near you.
A healthy smile goes a long way. Dental care is part of your overall health. That’s why you should see your dentist every six months.
Check your member ID card from your dental plan. Then, call your plan for answers to questions about care and coverage.
Keep your eyes healthy with routine eye exams. We work with Vision Service Plan (VSP) to provide you with vision care benefits, including glasses or contacts if needed.
Or, call VSP at 1-800-877-7195.
Did you know that you can get rewards for taking care of your health? Complete a preventive care action, like a health screening, and you can earn a gift card. We’ll show you how it works.
Kids also get other perks, like free swimming lessons and sports physicals. Plus, up to a $25 gift card when they join the Ted E. Bear, M.D. Wellness Club® — English (PDF) | Spanish (PDF).
We make it easy to get the medications you need to feel better. You may have a copay for those on our formulary. This is a list of medications we cover. If you don’t see yours on the list, ask your provider to find one that’s similar. And you can fill your prescription at any pharmacy in our network.
You deserve to be healthy in body and mind. Your plan covers health for you as a whole person. That includes help with your mental health or with substance use. You or your child can go to any behavioral health provider in our network.
Help in a crisis
Call 911 or go to the nearest hospital if:
- You have thoughts of harming yourself or someone else
- You have an emergency and need help right now
You can use any hospital for emergency care, even if it isn’t in our network. Just show your member ID card.
You can also call:
- Us at 1-800-279-1878 (TTY: 711). Choose the option for the crisis line. We’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: 988
Are you pregnant or planning to start a family? Our Baby Matters program can help you stay healthy during your pregnancy. We’ll help you get the care and services you need. And you can earn rewards for making healthy choices. Here are some benefits you’ll enjoy:
- Info about healthy pregnancies and baby care
- Rewards you can earn
- Help from a care manager
- Local community programs and resources
Family planning services and supplies
We’ll help you get birth control counseling and supplies. You can see any in-network or out-of-network provider. Any family planning care is private. You can call us at 1-800-279-1878 (TTY: 711) to choose a family planning provider. Or you can read more about family planning.
Through EPSDT, children under 21 can get full preventive health care services at no cost. This includes preventive health and wellness visits, like:
- Annual checkups
- Dentist appointments
- Eye doctor appointments
Why do these visits matter? They can help doctors treat symptoms before they get worse. And in some cases, they can help prevent health issues before they start.
Have questions? Just call us at 1-800-279-1878 (TTY: 711).
More about EPSDT
Stopping nicotine use is hard, whether you smoke, chew, vape or use another method. Most people need help to quit, and we’re here for you.
Quit Now Virginia
This program provides free, 24/7 info and coaching — online or by phone. You can get:
- One-on-one support from trained quit coaches
- Stop smoking info and tools
- Nicotine replacement therapy or medication
- Special services for pregnant women
- Counseling in English or Spanish, plus translation services for interpreting over 140 languages
Members ages 13 and older can take part in this program.
Questions on how to get started? You can call us at 1-800-279-1878 (TTY: 711).
Quit Now Virginia
Do you need help getting care? Our care management team is here for you. Care managers are nurses and social workers who understand your health conditions and help connect you to the right care. A care manager can help you learn more about your health, find a ride to your appointments and more.
More about care management
Some health issues need more care. Our care managers can help you manage chronic conditions, like:
- Coronary artery disease (CAD)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
24-Hour Nurse Line
If it’s late at night or you can’t reach your PCP, you’re not alone. You can speak with a nurse about your health care questions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Not sure if you should find urgent care or go to the emergency room? The Nurse Line can help. It doesn’t take the place of your PCP, so be sure to follow up later.
Just call us at 1-800-279-1878 (TTY: 711). Then, choose the option for Nurse Line.
Through secure video on your computer, you can meet with a doctor for treatment of common health conditions. Cold or flu? Great reasons to use telehealth. You can also get help with allergies, sinus problems and more.
You can get a smartphone with an Android platform and Assurance Wireless Lifeline cell service at no extra cost to you. If you already have Lifeline, you can switch to Assurance Wireless. You’ll get:
- A smartphone with an Android platform
- Data each month
- Unlimited texts
- Voice minutes each month
- Health tips and reminders by text
- One-on-one texting with your health care team
- Calls to Member Services that won’t count against your monthly minutes
If you have no way to get to the hospital during an emergency, call 911. We cover ambulance rides on the ground in a medical emergency.
Nonemergency medical rides
If you don’t have a ride to your appointment, we’ll help you get one. These rides are for the medical services we cover, like:
- Doctor visits
- Dental or vision care
- Behavioral health care
To get a ride, just call ModivCare at 1-800-734-0430. Or you can go online.
More about rides
These programs can help you live life as healthy as you can. We have special programs and services to help you get the care you need. And prevent health issues in the future.
LTSS helps care for older adults and people with disabilities. The goal is to help you meet your daily needs at home or in a nursing or other facility. So you can improve your quality of life.
These services and supports help with:
- Daily health care and living needs
- Safety and independence
- Dressing, bathing, going to the bathroom, preparing meals, doing light housework or grocery shopping
Members who are in a DD waiver program are covered for non-waiver benefits and services.
Those who need DD waiver services can get them from Fee-For-Service. We don’t cover them, but Medicaid pays for them directly. These services are based on medical necessity and are part of the member’s care plan.
Need to learn more about DD waivers? Just visit My Life, My Community. Or call us at 1-800-279-1878 (TTY: 711).
You can also learn more about these topics in your member handbook.
Medicaid covers some services that we don’t cover. For these services, you don’t have to use a provider in our network. Check your member handbook for a list of these services.
Members don’t have any copays. You don’t pay anything to get services we cover. If a provider bills you, don’t pay the bill. Just call us at 1-800-279-1878 (TTY: 711).
Approval for services
Some services need approval, or prior authorization (PA), before you get them. We base all our decisions on whether the service is:
- Needed for your health
- Likely to help you
Other language and format needs
Need language help? Just call us at 1-800-279-1878 (TTY: 711). We’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can get:
- Interpreter services at no cost during any service or complaint process, including American Sign Language and real-time oral interpretation
- Interpreter services for your medical visit (be sure to call 48 hours before your visit)
- Info in another format, like audio, large print and braille
- Materials in other languages if your primary language isn’t English
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.